Your body type is: Spoon
- Your hips are larger than your bust
- You have a defined waist
- Your hips have a “shelf” appearance
- You are prone to gaining weight in your tummy and have a tendency towards love-handles
- While you may gain weight in your upper thighs and upper arms, your lower legs and arms are shapely and your best assets
How to Dress a Spoon Body Shape
The key to dressing a Spoon body type is to draw attention to your upper body while deemphasizing your tummy and hips to create a more balanced appearance and create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Your legs are one of your best asset, so feel free to play with skirt lengths and show them off! To create the most curvaceous effect mix and match our suggested separates.
Look for tops that will help balance your lower half while accentuating your defined waist and camouflaging any tummy bulges:
- Tops with empire waists.
- Off the shoulder, boat-neck tops, wide V or U necks.
- Tops with rouching or embellishments around the bust.
- Tops that skim your midsection without adding volume.
- Strapless tops that show off your shoulders.
- Look for shirts with empire waists with fabric that gently floats away from the body below the waist. Flutter or princess sleeves or strapless varieties are particularly flattering.
- Shirts with draped fabric with a low, banded waist will hide tummy bulges. Choose strapless, flutter sleeve or tops with embellishments around the bust or neck for the best effect.
- Classic babydoll cuts are almost always flattering on spoon body shapes. The empire waist accents to smallest part of your torso and the flowing fabric de-emphasizes your tummy.
- Choose tops with wrap-style or embellished busts. This emphasize your upper body, helping to visually balance your figure.
- Choose shirts with full sleeves and details around the bust to help balance your lower body. Choose shirts that nip in high on the waist and them skim away around the tummy.
- Jackets with a structured shoulder, wide collar and nipped-in waist that gently skim away from your body below the waist work perfectly with a spoon figure.
Look for bottoms that will minimize your lower half:
- Avoid details such as whiskering, embellished pockets & flap pockets.
- Mini skirts were made for you – show off your shapely legs.
- Pants with straight legs (stay away from flares).
- Choose solid colors in darker washes.
- Choose wide waist-bands to camouflage tummy-bulges.
- Wear simple, dark colored, mid-rise pants with no (or minimal) pockets. Choose relaxed fits that fall from the widest part of your hip.
- Choose boot or trouser cut jeans in dark washes with simple back pockets that fall straight from the widest part of the hip. Skinny jeans can also be a good choice when paired with the right top.
- Most skirts cuts and lengths look good on you. A-line skirts that add minimal volume to your lower half look especially good. Avoid skirts with embellishments that add volume to your hips.
- Straight skirts or pencil skirts usually look great on a spoon body shape when paired with the right top. Feel free to play with length and show off your great legs!
Look for swimsuits that will draw attention to your upper body and great legs while minimizing your tummy:
- Light colored tops that are ruffled, embellished, patterned or padded.
- Retro swimsuits – high waisted bikinis or pin-up style one piece suits.
- Tops with straps that sit mid-way across the shoulder.
- Simple darker colored bottoms.
- One piece suits with rouching across the belly.
- Light colored or bold patterned tops with straps that sit midway across the shoulder. Choose a padded or push-up top to add curves to your bust.
- Look for ruffled or embellished tops that will draw the eye up adding curves to your bust.
- If you are comfortable with your belly, go for a simple bottom with a slight scoop. Avoid side ties or embellishments and go for a darker bottom paired with a patterned top for the best effect.
- It takes a special person to pull off the retro-bombshell look, but if you are her, go for a pin-up style bottom. Slight rouching and a darker colored bottom will further enhance the look.
- One piece, retro-style suits with rouching across the midsection are a perfect choice. Styles that have lighter, patterned or embellished busts will provide the optimal effect.
- Select tankinis with empire waist tops that float slightly away at the belly. Avoid bottoms that are embellished and instead opt for tops that are padded, patterned or embellished around the bust.