Your body type is: Hourglass
- Your bust and hips are well balanced
- you have a beautifully defined waist
- Your have gently rounded shoulders that align nicely with your hips
- Your waist is obvious and gracefully curves out to your hips
- You most likely have a rounded bottom and beautiful side as well as front profile
- Your upper body is proportionate in length to your legs which are shapely
- From top to bottom, you are a picture of harmony and balance
How to Dress an Hourglass Body Shape
The key to dressing an Hourglass body type is to proportionally dress the top and bottom of your body while accentuating your waist. Wide belts over shirts and dresses are a great way to show off your waist. You can create an even more curvaceous effect by proportionally adding a bit of volume to your upper and lower body, but always try to maintain balance since it is your best asset. You have great legs so feel free to play with skirt lengths. Please rollover the thumbnails below to learn more about how to dress an Hourglass body type.
Look for tops that will accentuate your waist and maintain the balanced look of your figure. Look for:
- Belted tops.
- Tops with banding or nipping at the waist.
- Form-fitting tops.
- Wrap-style tops.
- Tailored shirts and jackets.
- Your figure was made for form hugging tops. You can further enhance your waist by adding a belt to basic tops (tube tops, knit tops, sleeveless tops, etc.).
- Tops with that add volume to the bust and shoulders with a snug fitting empire waist create a dramatic hourglass effect when paired with a proportionally voluminous bottom.
- Wrap-style tops accentuate your waist and enhance your hourglass figure.
- Flowing tops that are banded at the waist, showing off your amazing curves, create a dramatic hourglass effect.
- Wear fitted dress shirts with darted waists that conform to your natural shape. Stay away from boxy styles.
- Choose either form-fitting jackets or jackets that nip in at the waist with a flare at the hip. The flare should be balanced with a structured or princess shoulder.
Lucky you! You can wear most any bottoms as long as you pair them with the proper top. Try the following:
- High-waisted pants and pencil skirts.
- Boot cut & straight leg pants.
- Skirts that will show off your great legs.
- Skinny jeans and pants paired with a balanced top.
- Cargos or flap pocket jeans paired with a balanced top.
- Pants with wide waistband are very flattering on your body type. Pair straight-leg pants with a form skimming top or cargos with a fuller top to maintain your hourglass proportions.
- Wear skinny jeans with banded, belted or not-to-tight body skimming tops. Boot cut jeans look good with most any of our recommended tops.
- Figure skimming and pencil skirts of all lengths look good on your figure. High-waisted skirts are particularly flattering. Add a flounce around the bottom to balance fuller tops and jackets.
- Full skirts are flattering when paired with a top that adds fullness to your bust and shoulders while accentuating your waist. This look creates a very dramatic hourglass effect.
You will look great in most swim suits. The key is to keep your proportions balanced. Look for:
- Tops with straps that sit mid-way across the shoulder.
- Match colors and patterns of your top and bottom.
- Balanced ruffles, padding and embellishments can enhance your curves.
- Bottoms that cut straight across your hips.
- Strapless or bandeau tops.
- Choose tops with straps that sit in the center of your well balanced shoulders. Match unpadded tops with simple bottoms or padded tops with embellished bottoms.
- Bandeau tops are flattering on an hourglass figure. Pair simple bottoms with simple bandeau tops or embellished/ruffled tops with embellished/ruffled bottoms.
- Simple bottoms that cut straight across your hips look great with simple tops.
- Ruffled or embellished bottoms will enhance your hourglass figure when paired with similar tops.
- One piece bathing suits with a wrap or banded waist will enhance your hourglass figure. Make sure to stick with suits that have the same pattern or color across the bust and hips.
- Choose tankinis with a balanced top and bottom. Pair simple tops with simple bottoms and pair embellished tops with embellished bottoms. Keep the color across your bust and hips is the same.